Sunday, September 12, 2010

Showgirls


If I had to make a list of movies that were personal favorites, movies I could watch over and over as opposed to movies that I thought were made well and acted well, I would put Showgirls (1995) in the top five.

From the moment you meet Nomi Malone in the opening scene, you know you're in for a trip. The story follows a female hitchhiker who makes her way to Las Vegas. After being abandoned by her ride she meets the tailor for one of the glitzy, adult Vegas shows. Long story short, Nomi gets into the show and that's when all of her new troubles start. The movie itself is not all that bad. The direction and cinematography are wonderful and most of the acting is above average. The problem comes with the overall feel that things are pushed too far in the wrong directions and with the editing choices including several cuts and scenes that are wholly unnecessary.

Despite its faults, I think Showgirls will come to be seen as a classic and I cross my fingers that one day studios will embrace the NC-17 rating as an open door for creative filmmakers. (8.3/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment