Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Blair Witch Project


The first time I saw The Blair Witch Project (1999) was years after its debut. By that time I'd read up on the movie and nearly ruined my experience by knowing as much as I could ahead of time. That is, until I decided to try watching it as though I'd known nothing about the movie in advance.

The movie is paced like a bad late-night cable documentary. You're following some people along to find out about an urban legend you've never heard of. They interview locals and try to find some people with a connection to the legend. Then, after failing to come up with much more than they already know, they decide to go straight to the source of the legend... the middle of the woods near the town. By now you know they get lost and all hell breaks loose as the legend comes alive around them. My only hesitation is the near-constant swearing which distracts a bit from the creepiness of the movie.

I do think this is a solid horror film and one of the top 5 to come out of the '90's. (8.6/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment