Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


I went into Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) I didn't know what to think. The overall atmosphere seemed to be more playful in this version of the story, but I wasn't sure that anything had improved. And, in my mind, why remake a movie unless you're improving on the original?

The story is essentially the same: Charlie finds the elusive golden ticket and is whisked into Willy Wonka's dream of a candy factory. Many of the rooms in the factory are essentially the same and the movie moves at essentially the same pace from place to place. Johnny Depp makes Wonka less outwardly creepy, aiming his creep factor toward adults that wouldn't want him around their kids as opposed to kids that would enjoy his friendly awkwardness. My biggest problem with the remake are the unnecessary and overly long musical numbers all performed by the same person playing hundreds of Oompa Loompas. They are terrible to say the least.

I just can't bring myself to like this movie as much as I wanted to. It's not Tim Burton's worst, but it's far from a good film. (6.5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment