Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Last Tango in Paris


I put off watching Last Tango in Paris (1972) for years because I didn't feel I was old enough to appreciate it. I'm glad I waited because there are so many things in this movie meant for an adult mind to process, that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much when I was a teenager.

The movie is as much about love as it is about fleeting romance. Two people meet, they talk, they become physically close, but through the whole movie they do not become mentally close. You see them share moments together that do not fill their potential because though they may show love for one another, they are not in love. This theme is played through to the end when they finally share a moment that feels real and genuine, only to leave the film as an open-ended romance. I think this movie represents so much, but for me it's the only film to question the uncertainty of love and whether it's possible/necessary at all to live your life with that emotion.

Really an extraordinary movie in its frank portrayal of the relationship between the main characters. (7.8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment