Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Harold and Maude


For years I had heard of a quirky older comedy named Harold and Maude (1971) and I finally decided to rent it to see what I'd been missing out on. I soon found out that I wasn't missing out on much. The story itself was okay, but they really needed a better musical supervisor for the film.

The story follows a young boy named Harold as he lives day to day thinking about death and the meaning of life. His family is unimpressed with is antics and he doesn't have any friends to speak of. That is, until he meets Maude while they both attend a random funeral in town. The eccentric pair play together and try to establish meaning in each other's worlds. It's a very cute idea that doesn't quite work. I do love Ruth Gordon in the movie, but she's about it. And the music is horrible. I know a lot of people love the Cat Stevens songs in the film, but they are repeated to death and almost made me turn the movie off.

A nice enough idea for a movie that wasn't pulled off particularly well. (6.7/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment