Monday, August 30, 2010

Happiness


The first time I saw Happiness (1998) I think I was about 15 years old. I had figured out that my local library carried some off-the-wall movies and did not discriminate as to who checked them out or how old they had to be. Within a couple of weeks I had picked up Pink Flamingos and Happiness. The experience was surreal. I knew I didn't quite understand why or what was happening in every scene, but it always stuck with me. Just recently I re-watched the movie and had an entirely new experience.

Where things seemed heavy and disturbing when I was 15, I was laughing at 22. The movie is darkly funny and straddles the line between hilarious and stomach-churning concepts. There are too many storylines to summarize here, but it's safe to say that the movie has become a personal favorite of mine and will warrant many repeat viewings in the future.

I will always wonder what might have happened if the Academy had the balls to nominate this movie for Best Picture that year. (8.9/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment