Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eyes Wide Shut


My love affair with Stanley Kubrick didn't begin until several years after his death. I'd seen The Shining and loved it, but was unfamiliar with most of his other work. It still pains me to this day that I was not able to see Eyes Wide Shut (1999) when it came out in theaters (I remember the radio advertisement calling it the most controversial movie of the year.) I was also only 10 years old at the time and probably wouldn't have understood most of the plot anyway.

That said, I love this movie. It keeps a slow pacing that builds and builds with each scene. You're never really sure what or why anything is happening, but neither does the main character you're following. It really is a dramatic thriller in every sense. Most people seemed to hate this movie when it first came out, but that was the case with all of Kubrick's films. He was at least a decade ahead of his time with every picture. The same is true with this one, people are just now beginning to look back on the experience and appreciate it for the art it truly is.

I love this movie, one of my all-time favorites and one of Kubrick's best. (9.2/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment