Wednesday, July 21, 2010

12 Angry Men


A few years ago I watched the original version of this movie in a college English class and loved every minute of it. When it was going to be shown on a movie channel, I recorded it so I could watch it later. As it turns out, the version on TV was actually this wonderful remake.

The newer version of 12 Angry Men (1997) was a made-for-TV movie that deservedly won plenty of awards. I was skeptical of a remake and questioned some of the casting, but everything came together perfectly; proving that the original play still stands the test of time. Jack Lemmon is perfect for recreating Henry Fonda's original role, but the star of the show is really George C. Scott as Juror #3. He really did just as well, if not better than Lee J. Cobb in the original role. The story moves along at a perfect pace and I could not have asked for anything better.

I still do, however, prefer the older version. I think the supporting actors were a bit better, the setting of the story was more appropriate, and I loved the use of black and white. Despite all of that, this is still a very good show. (7.8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment